Saturday, June 28, 2014

My Philosophy of Education
            What is my philosophy on education? Why is education important to me and especially to my students? Is education really necessary to our survival? Firstly, I would like to discuss why education is important for everyone, not just to me. Then talk about my purpose or role as the educator. Lastly, what have I come to understand is the best ways a student learns and how to teach them.
            What do I believe is the purpose of education? I believe that education has many purposes and uses in our lives.  Most importantly education guides how we think or behave, our understanding about the world and its people, and our economic gain. When we make choices, such as choosing a restaurant to eat in, we usually make informed choices in regards to: if its affordable, the rating, and past experiences we’ve had while eating there. With whom we choose to associate with is also guided by our knowledge of someone and how we relate to them and they to us. The jobs we hold is also shaped by what we define as success or our happiness. These are in fact educated choices we make. Carpenter and Hughes state that education helps us in finding or defining our self-actualization or realization, human relationships, and economic efficiency (pg.3, 2011). Through education we define or develop our place in society, how we interact with others (feeling of empathy) and career success. What we define as our happiness, which everyone deserves and has a right to the attainment of. In our daily lives we are always learning something new. We learn best through the mistakes we make. But, as stated by Milliren and Messer this requires the development of a students potential to do hard work or be dedicated, and understanding of theirs and others interests (pg.20, 2009), whom I believe together shapes character. We develop these characteristics through learning or acquiring knowledge. These are the main reasons why we push our children to go out and get an education. The institution that is dedicated in teaching and act as the center of learning in our society are schools. Kids in our country are fortunate to receive education for free. But when they enter through the school doors, the educators entrusted with the obligation to teach must do their best to engage the minds of each student, to want to learn. So as a dispenser or teacher of information how do I best share these knowledge with my students?
            Holding the responsibility of being an educator in a classroom is very daunting and challenging. Sometimes some of us actually teach subjects we aren’t even well versed in. Also a few students in class don’t even want to be there, they just show up to be a thorn in your side and disrupt teaching and learning. Handling 15 students is difficult enough, but 25 to 30 students is a big challenge. Sometimes I feel like telling them that if they don’t really want to be here then they should tell their parents to pull them out of school. Because truthfully, sometimes these students are the students with behavior issues and often disrupt your lessons and the students who want to learn from learning. But usually they misbehave because they don’t understand the material and don’t want to look ignorant. As the teacher I have to work around this and make them understand the value of education and learning. One way to get them to learn is to make sure the material I am teaching them is relevant and that they understand it or can relate it to their lives. Another hurdle to jump over are the materials and textbooks used for teaching, which are often outdated or insufficient. Even the student desks are falling apart let alone the whole school. This is what most teachers face on Guam and quite possibly in other parts of the nation. But as the educator my main goal and purpose is to spark the need or want to learn in the minds of my students, so that they can attain happiness. Regardless of the material I have to work with or if the air-conditioning is not functioning. I want to inspire them but most of all I want them to inspire themselves. I teach math, and math is a subject that most students hate, because they find it difficult to understand. But just like math and also in life, if we persevere there is an answer to be found and I hope my students take this to heart. I have had a few students ask me why do we need to learn this or why do we need to be in school. I explain to them that knowledge and the attainment of it will help them develop who they are and shape their minds and thoughts, their character. In turn it will help and guide them to finding their happiness, whatever it may be. My hope for my students when they leave my classroom is that they are fully equipped to meet the next challenges in their lives. But even if they leave without a complete knowledge of the skills that I have taught them, at the very least they have an understanding that with hard work and perseverance they can accomplish anything. This is my hope as their guide and teacher. But I must also take into consideration on how my student’s will best learn and retain the material I teach them.
            I have come to believe and learn; from past experiences, information recently acquired from graduate school, and as a first time teacher, is that all students learn differently. Everyone is different meaning they also learn in various ways. Carjuzza and Kellough have identified 3 different learning modalities; which are visual, auditory, and kinesthetic or tactile modalities (pg.56, 2013). From what I’ve observed in my observations of other classes and also in my own class is that this is true. Especially if you include them all in your lesson plan. When we teach we mainly engage two of the sensors, which are visual and auditory so it is also important to make sure we find a way to incorporate kinesthetic modality. If we engage all three we can be sure that all the students in your class will participate and learn. Another important way to teach and for students to learn is the use of cooperative learning groups. Again as stated by Carjuzza and Kellough students learn better when they work and support one another with the guidance of the teacher (pg.230, 2013). I have had the opportunity to observe and also assign my students to work in groups. What I have come to conclude is that, with strict guidance, learning becomes more fun and engaging for students when they work with one another. I also agree in fostering this type of learning. Because it helps them understand the idea of working with others, which most working environments promote.  With this understanding about the importance of the learning modalities and cooperative learning groups, I am more aware of how I can best teach my students. I have also started to include them in my lesson planning. Because a well planned and researched lesson with the inclusion of the learning modalities and of cooperative learning groups, teaching and learning can be achieved at its highest level. And as the educator this is my main goal in teaching my students the importance about education. If I don’t take these ideas into account it will lead to teaching and learning failure.
            In my conclusion I believe that education is important for everyone. It doesn’t matter what your station will be in the future. Attainment of knowledge is important because it helps build character, self-realization, develop human relation, and economic productivity. As the educator I am charged in making sure that my students realize this and that I inspire them to want this for themselves. So I must make sure that I utilize and develop instruction that will engage and capture their minds to want to learn in order for them to achieve their goals. Ultimately it is happiness, contentment, and satisfaction that everyone is looking for in life and education is important and a key in achieving these aspirations. 


Reference:
Carpenter, D. M., Hughes, H. (2011) Gubernatorial Rhetoric and the Purpose of Education in the United States. Retrieved Dec. 2013 from; http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ963737.pdf
Milliren, A., Messer, M. H. (2009) “Invitations” To Character. Retrieved Dec. 2013 from;

Carjuzaa, J., Kellough, R. D. (2013) Teaching in the Middle and Secondary Schools. New Jersey: Pearson Education, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment